Church of San Geer Scuol
Show all 4 images
For the first time, the place "Schulle" (today's Scuol) is mentioned in a document of about 1095, in connection with the construction of a Benedictine monastery and a church. However, the church of San Geer (St. George) was built at the beginning of the 16th century and was consecrated in 1516. Around 1530 the Reformation was introduced in Scuol and within a few years throughout the Engadine.
It has been proven, however, that the church hill of Scuol was already inhabited in prehistoric times. In the 1950s, a ceramic disc was found on the north side of the church hill. In 1970 excavations took place around the church. Several old wall remains were found, pointing to an original, probably Carolingian church. It burned down in 1258 and was subsequently built in style. This Romanesque church served its purpose until the beginning of the 16th century, when it became dilapidated. Afterwards, Bernhard von Puschlav was commissioned to build a Gothic church.
On the choir wall you can read on the top right: Anno 1516 Bernardus von Bosclaf has escaped the verck. Underneath is the stonemason's sign of the builder. Another master or journeyman sign is painted on the left side of the choir arch.
More details can be found on the website of the Reformed Church of Scuol. www.scuol-ref.ch
- With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Landquart/Prättigau or from the Upper Engadine) to Scuol-Tarasp.
- So then take the local bus to the stop Scuol, Plaz
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
Scuol is located directly on the Engadinerstrasse H27.
- parking facilities, e.g. at the covered Inn Bridge.
Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.