Ruins of Chanoua
Of the Chanoua faction, which is mentioned in the old municipal statutes as a small group of houses around a chapel, only the ruins of a stately building remain. These are probably the remains of the ancient Sust, arguably the group's once most important building. For the first time in the 9th century, a "fiscal tabernac" near Ardez on the then connecting road "Via imperiala" Como – Tirol is mentioned here. The building served both as a hostel and as a transshipment point for all kinds of transport goods. It is believed that the house was rebuilt after it was destroyed by fire on 24 March 1742. Later, the economy in Chanous is mentioned again by the chronicler Martin Padrotsch, when on September 21, 1773, on the occasion of the cattle market in Ardez, a large number of market visitors gathered for lunch.
The 1850 census in Chanoua only mentions a farm inhabited by the Marugg family of five. Apparently, the other buildings had already disintegrated or were no longer habitable. The residential wing was temporarily inhabited until 1910.
- With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Prättigau or Upper Engadine) hourly to Ardez
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
- Free parking in the village
Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.