Fortezza Rohan Fortress Ruins
Show all 3 images
1578 a medieval castle is mentioned in a document: the countryman of the court Steinsberg testifies that the main castle of Khachina was the property of the Family Cazins in Susch. Possible remnants of this would have been removed by the construction of 1635. Only excavations could shed light on older settlements.
The complex, which is now visible today, was built in 1635 by Duke Henri II de Rohan in the Thirty Years' War during the Grisons turmoil and the struggles for the reconquest of the Veltlin to support the Spaniards and Austrians. A bulwark created from 19 to 27 May 1635 by Captain Borel de la Roque-Serviére and Jörg Jenatsch may have served as a temporary preparatory work for the Fortezza. After the cessation of hostilities, the fortress was abandoned.
The original wall height of the star-shaped fortress is still preserved in places and varies between 2.5 and 5 metres. The perimeter wall is between 0.5 and 1.5 metres thick. Below the crown of the wall was a wooden defensive passage, whose horizontal beams are still largely preserved. On the outside of the wall, numerous slanted upwards of wood should make it difficult to put storm ladders on. On the southwest corner there is a two-storey round tower with a basement room on whose platform there may have been a gun. The plant was divided by a central wall with a passage into two roughly equal areas. The main gate was in the southeastern part. A square building that was still standing in the 1930s was destroyed during world war ii by modern military installations that have since been demolished.
- Mit der Rhätischen Bahn (von Chur, Prättigau oder Oberengadin) stündlich bis Susch
- Von Norden: über Landquart – Klosters per Autoverlad durch den Vereinatunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) oder über den Flüelapass ins Unterengadin auf H27
- Von Osten: via Landeck / Österreich in Richtung St. Moritz auf H27
- Von Süden: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) oder Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) auf H27
- Kostenpflichtige Parkplätze im Dorf vorhanden
Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.