Castle ruin Steinsberg Ardez
Show all 4 images
Landmark of Ardez is the castle ruin Steinsberg with the remains of the St. Luzius chapel. The ruin is enthroned on a rocky hill at the edge of the village and is an ideal vantage point. Regular guided tours of the village take place. The village also counts as a model village of Romanesque living culture. The surrounding area was chosen by the WWF as a priority conservation area.
The castle dates back to 1209 and has changed hands several times over the centuries. In 1499 Austrian henchmen invaded the valley, plundered and burned down many villages and the castle. Since then Steinsberg has not been rebuilt.
The castle ruins are freely accessible at all times.
Guided tours on request at the guest information Scuol or Ardez.
The castle ruins are freely accessible at all times. Guided tours are possible on request at the guest information Scuol.
- With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Prättigau or Upper Engadine) hourly to Ardez
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
- Am the foot of the hill is a public car park (signposted)
Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.