Show all 3 images
Since there are hardly any documents about Gonda, little is known about the history of the village. The first written mention comes from the year 1161, in 1317 a Gebhard of Gonda is mentioned. In the 16th century, Gonda is referred to as the fraction of Lavin. Ulrich Campell described Gonda in 1570 in his "Raetiae alpestris topographica descriptio" as a village with around 30 houses. In 1741, Nicolin Sererhard mentions Gonda as abandoned and uninhabited in the "Einfalte Delineation aller Gemeinden gemeiner dreien Bünden".
When exactly and why Gonda was abandoned by its inhabitants is not known, certainly several reasons played a role. In addition to the difficult economic situation at the beginning of the 17th century and the Austrian invasion around 1620 by Alois Baldiron during the Graubünden turmoil, natural threats from avalanches and flooding of the stream in the immediate vicinity were added.
In addition to the ruins of the church, remains of the walls of another nine buildings have been preserved. The ruins, some of which are heavily overgrown, stand in meadows interspersed with groups of shrubs and trees. In the walls of some window and door openings can still be seen.
In 1983, the municipality of Lavin established the Foundation «Fundaziun Pro Gonda». It aims to research the history of the settlement and to preserve and secure its ruins. At Gonda there is a rare opportunity to explore a medieval village structure that has not been destroyed by subsequent overbuilding.
- With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Prättigau or Upper Engadine) hourly to Lavin
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
- Paid parking available in the village
Responsible for this content Tourism Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.