Church of San Güerg Lavin
Show all 3 images
The church was built around 1480. A short time later, the choir walls, the choir vault and the choir arched head wall, presumably by an Italian master, were painted on the full surface. The result is a cycle of images that, thanks to its quality and original symbol reproduction, can be counted among the most valuable works of art in Graubünden. In 1529, when Lavin was introduced into the Reformation, the paintings were completely coated with lime stains. From 1955 to 1956, on the occasion of a church renovation, the cycle of images was rediscovered, uncovered and restored. Remarkable is the rare depiction of Jesus Christ with the three interlocking faces as a symbol of the Trinity.
- With the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) from Zernez or Sucol hourly to Lavin.
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
Lavin can be reached from the Engadinerstrasse H27
- Free parking available at the train station
Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.