Kirche San Niclà Strada
The church of St. Nicholas in San Niclà (fraction of the municipality of Tschlin) was built in the late 12th century. The Romanesque building consists of a wide, single-nave nave, a semicircular, vaulted apse and a tower in front of the church entrance. Around 1500, a now heavily damaged wall painting was created on the south-west front of the tower, which consisted of a St. Christophorus picture, two coats of arms and a smaller St. Antonius picture (according to Pöschel, K. d. Schw., GR, III). The different masonry structure of the top tower floor indicates a subsequent elevation of the tower. Above the nave, which was originally very probably flat-roofed, a barrel vault resting on pilasters was installed in 1718 (date above the apex of the apse). At the same time, the ship windows were changed, which received baroque curly bodies.
Around 1800, after the church was no longer in use, it was rebuilt as a farmhouse and used as such until recently.
- Take the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Landquart/Prättigau or from the Upper Engadine) to Scuol-Tarasp.
- Via PostBus from Scuol from the direction of Martina. San Nicla stop.
- From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
By car from Scuol from the direction of Martina. Turn right over the bridge to San Nicla.
Parking available in front of the bridge and on the dirt road.
Responsible for this content Tourism Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.