Landmark of the Lower Engadine
From 1040 until today
Tarasp Castle was built in 1040. Tarasp belonged to Austria until the beginning of the 19th century. At the turn of the 20th century, the castle was bought in desolate condition by K.A. Lingner, spa guest and inventor of Odol mouthwash, and extensively renovated.
Since 30 March 2016, the world-renowned Engadine artist Not Vital has been the new owner of Tarasp Castle. His vision is to develop Tarasp Castle into a cultural attraction of national and international importance with contemporary art, a sculpture park and continued public access.
Guided tours of the castle take place regularly, sometimes several times a day in summer. Organ concerts on the sonorous wooden organ with 3,000 pipes resound through the walls again and again – in summer and winter – and have a lasting effect on visitors.
Show all 5 images